Saturday 27 October 2012

Day 40 - Trying to keep in budget

On this unplanned part of the journey I set quite a tight daily budget to keep, this basically narrowed down to £50 a day for accommodation and £50 a day for spending money. We started off well, keeping inside of the budget for the first 3 days, as Chumphon and Koh Tao had little to create temptation.

Unfortunately Chaweng on Koh Samui had way too many temptations, and following the Jet Ski, snorkelling gear, a visit to the ice bar, some Australian ribs at the ozzie bar, Cocktails on the beach and Starbucks (Terrible aye, but felix loves the frappuchinos - as do we!) we managed to over spend by £50 a day. We then topped that with some wine from the 7eleven yesterday, so another £30 - yep wine is extremely expensive over here, We have managed to basically double our alloted spending money for the second 3 days.

We are hoping that we can be a little more conservative in our new environment!... but hey ho! whats a good budget if you dont smash it up a few times!

Sunrise this morning from our beach hut terrace

 
 
Another video from the 'ColeWerks' production Team
 


2 comments:

  1. Ahoy there! I've spent today on board Grizzled Skipper (or 'Griddled Kipper' as I'm informed she is getting to be known as amongst the Thames boating fraternity - how cruel!). I've been having some technical instruction from a chap called Simon Appleyard who also owns a Piper barge and is a technical wizard. He very kindly agreed to meet me at Penton Hook and spend a couple of days tutoring me. Today we went through electrics, water systems, central heating and various other riveting subjects. I think I grasped most of it other, obviously, than the electrical system which fogs my mind almost instantly. Tomorrow he's going to talk me through the chart plotter, VHF radio and a few other bits and pieces. And in a couple of weeks time I've booked myself onto a diesel engine maintenance course at Bisham Abbey sailing school. So once that's done I shall be a fully qualified marine engineer, ho ho! Back to Slinfold tomorrow and lunch with Phil and Andrea for Luke's and Oscar's birthdays.
    Your island Odyssey (spelling? Sorry, it's 11.30pm, I've just downed a large scotch and my brain's fuddled) sounds and looks to be gaining momentum nicely, though perhaps, reading between the lines, not quite the idyllic settings that you had imagined, or am I misreading you?
    Been doing a little research into cruises and we think we may be beginning to come up with a cunning plan for our visit to you in Oz next year, basically involving flying over late November (say), staying with you till January (say), then flying to NZ for a six week (say)motor-home tour and then cruising from Auckland back to Southampton, arriving home (say) mid March. Only problem is cost. It's looking fairly eye-watering but hey-ho, it would only be your inheritance we'd be spending so you've only yourselves to blame! Anyway we'll see how the plans develop.
    Mum, meanwhile, is so completely besotted with her iPad that I fear she may be contemplating divorcing me and marrying the wretched thing. Will keep you posted. In the meantime, good luck with getting back on budget and I'm looking forward to reading your next blog on the subject of frugal living! Lots of love, Gramps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Simon, no need to smash the inheritance, sounds like you will be well qualified to sail 'The Kipper' down by next winter! - interesting point on the'idyllic' element - I feel a post on this coming online soon!

    ReplyDelete